ONONDAGA CENTRAL SCHOOLS CONCUSSION MANAGEMENT
New York passed the Concussion Management and Awareness Act, effective July 1, 2012 for all public schools and charter schools. The items listed below are required for school districts to be in compliance with the law.
Requirements of School Districts:
- Each school coach, physical education teacher, nurse, and athletic trainer will have to complete an approved course on concussiomanagement on a biennial basis, starting with the 2012-2013 school year
- School coaches and physical education teachers must complete the CDC course
- School nurses and certified athletic trainers must complete the concussion course
- Provide concussion management information and sign off with any parental permission form. The NYSPHSAA will provide a pamphlet to member schools on the concussion management information for parents. The concussion management and awareness information or the State Education Department’s website must be made available on the school website, if one exists
- Require the immediate removal from athletic activities of any pupil that has or is believed to have sustained a mild traumatic brain injury. No pupils will be allowed to resume athletic activity until they have been symptom free for 24 hours and have been evaluated by and received written and signed authorization from a licensed physician. For interscholastic athletics, clearance must come from the school medical director
- Such authorization must be kept in the pupil’s permanent heath record
- Schools shall follow directives issued by the pupil’s treating physician
For Information regarding Concussions, Please see link below.
Please download any forms in PDF format that are needed, complete and return to the nurse.